Monday, September 12, 2011

Wesley's letter 9-12-11

¿Baax ka walik? That was Maya... what ever it’s no bigge. OK, I have a ton to write this week and like zero time to write it

Here’s some of what’s been happening.
So, it turns out the food here is kind of a coin toss sometimes we’ll get super deliciousness and others mondongo, a classic 3rd world dish of cow stomach. The crazy things I’ve eaten so far are mondongo, deer (I don’t know where they got a deer) and peacock. Peacock was the best but deer wasn’t bad. But good news, everyone here loves mondongo so I’m sure it won’t be the last time. The only consistently delicious things we can count on being good are the drinks. The drinks are all home made from new fruits I can’t even pronounce.

Yeah, so the language is going pretty horribly because my missionary companion doesn’t know any English and he speaks a lot of slang, none of which does he know how to explain. Everyone here speaks Maya and just loves to incorporate it into their Spanish so it really throws me curve balls when I kind of know what’s going on and then there’s some weird baax tin yanaj thrown in. So ya I’m pretty lost most the time, but I still think I’m getting the language better than most of the other gringos who showed up at the same time.

Oh ya, it turns out the missionary who said that Kulkucan was the top baptizing area was joking. It turns out our zone hasn’t baptized anyone in over a year and it is one of the hardest areas in the entire mission haha. Everyone’s super Catholic and your not legit in Kulkucan unless you have a Virgin of Guadalupe kiosk in front of your house for all to see. But trust me everyone here is super nice and I feel love everywhere we go, and we have a few people committed to baptism.


So these last weeks have been pretty crazy, its been raining every day pretty hard. I have a few photos of this Wednesday when all the streets got flooded and I was ankle deep in a river of heaven’s tears. Later that night it just kept on raining, so our walk home was about knee deep. It was pretty crazy! I saw a few cars get bogged down because their air filters were under water. Random puddles form in our house for no reason and last week one formed under my bed by all my beloved stuff. I didn’t know about it for what must have been some time because when I found out my beloved vans were all moldy! It was pretty rad.

I love taking showers with scorpions on the wall. Our house is pretty ghetto, we have to use a bucket to flush the toilet and the refrigerator door fell off so we kind of just suction it on now, so you don’t get something out of the fridge unless its really important!

As it stands I haven’t seen too many creepy animals, but there are centipedes everywhere, and I literally mean EVERYWHERE like almost every step I almost step on one. I still haven’t seen a tarantula yet. The biggest spider I’ve seen so far here was for sure the creepiest thing I’ve ever seen. We were chilling in the main room of our house when a wolf spider looking thing the size of a wrist watch comes flying under front door full sprint at us, and to make things worst it had about 300 demon spawn broodling children on its back so when my companion smashed it with his sandal all its spawnlings went everywhere and started running around. The parent’s front half was still running around trying to get us, so we had to raid them down. It was pretty dubstep. Which reminds me I really miss music.

Ok I’ll write more next week.

El Esmit

1 comment:

  1. got me scared at the spider with babies on the back....great description I can see through you what it is like where you are. I could go for a good fruit drink right now.
    Keep up the hard work, enjoy any baptism's you have set up. They will never forget you.
    Love Lori from Midvale Utah

    ReplyDelete