Monday, August 8, 2011

Wesley's 7th letter (8-5-2011)

Hey this is the 7th letter whooooo, I wouldn’t know unless looking at the date because the days just kind blur together here.

So, good news: I feel I understand all of the conjugations (in terms of understanding where they go and how they work) for Spanish now and although I’m still a little slow at responding and putting sentences together, I feel I can understand everything the teachers say. From here it’s all just getting used to grammar and vocab. So, I’m pretty much fluent, until I get to Mexico and get creamed! But watch they’re probably going to send me Mayan speaking so these last 2 months won't mean anything haha.

So they have Google maps on the church website. I can look at it here and its crazy because probably 85% of all the villages and towns in the Yucatan have Mayan names instead of Spanish, so I really do think the probability of me at least learning some Mayan is pretty high.

One other quick thought is that: just before the 2012 thing my companion is legitimately concerned about there being riots in the streets and chaos. My theory on that though is that people may get scared of the world ending and if they do they’re gonna want to give religion a second thought, so we're gonna get a lot of baptisms, but kind of for the wrong reason. Another theory is that, Mayans don’t really think the world is going to end and it just turns out there wasn’t enough room on the circle for more dates than 2012. Oh, actually the final theory is that I solve an ancient puzzle at some Mayan temple in the jungle and save the world! But, when I go to tell people about it they will be blissfully unaware that anything happened. I’ll be ostracized and live the rest of my days as a hermit. So just a heads up if the you’re still alive on December 21, 2012, you know who to thank. 


Hey, if any of my friends on facebook are reading this, I really would love to hear from you, I think you’d be surprised just how difficult it is to leave all your friends, family, and worldly things behind for 2 years. So even if its just a news letter saying what’s happening in your life I promise will read it and I promise it’ll make me super happy, even if I don’t have time to write you back I promise I do read and appreciate every letter I get no matter who it's from. 



I only have 2 1/2 more weeks in the MTC until I’m thrown into a foreign country for 22 months, and I couldn’t be happier. So my newsletters should be getting real good in about 3 weeks, so be sure to be reading them.

I still haven’t gotten my visa but I should be getting it next week and I can’t wait for the drive to Salt Lake and to see the world again.

I think I’m going to end every news letter with a cool quote of some kind. I forgot who wrote this but...
"Mind is the Master--power that molds and makes, and Man is Mind, and ever more he takes the Tool of Thought, and shaping what he wills, brings forth a thousand joys, a thousand ills--He thinks in secret it comes to pass; environment is but his looking glass”

I know dates sups profound breh
. Wow, its incredible how much you miss worldly things when you can't have them haha.

I miss and love all of you more than all of the letters in my Aztecan mission presidents name (Netzuacoyotl Salinas) there’s one for ya mom haha!


Your Mayan missionary, Eldere Esmit

No comments:

Post a Comment